Happy Spring/ September everybody!
Last Saturday I went to a local bar to watch the Arsenal vs. Manchester United soccer match. It was really fun hanging out with our friends, although the game got intense at parts.
On Sunday, we celebrated Ronel's birthday a day early by going to Mzoli's again.
This week was quite stressful because I had two tests and a research proposal due. All of this in addition to our service work was really overwhelming.
Also, yesterday I started my after school creative writing program at Manenberg. For now, it's only open to third and fourth grade (3 actual classes). 45 kids ended up coming. It was a little chaotic considering I was the only one running the program! But the kids seemed really engaged and excited to be there. I also discussed the program with all of the teachers at the school the other. The other grades are also interested in participating. Since I can't handle so many kids on my own, I'm currently trying to organize for college student volunteers to come help out. Hopefully this will work out so that we can reach as many kids as possible. The program is meant to address the literacy problem at the school and, from what I've heard from teachers, is really needed. I'm really excited to get it off the ground! I'll keep you updated!
Last night we went to the ballet (Giselle). It was really beautiful and made me miss dancing so much!
As of right now, we're on SPRING BREAK!!!! After a hectic week, we're all SO excited to have a week off. We leave tomorrow for our trip to the Garden Route. But more about that later.
Until then, lots of love from Africa!
Friday, September 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment